Thursday 24 July 2014

Another good month

 Still a trickle of new species arriving in the garden - meaning that July looks like being another good month.

I suppose the highlight recently has been a Grass Emerald which is quite a rarity in VC55 and had not been seen away from its regular haunts for 20 years until this one popped up on the night of the worst thunderstorms and heavy rain.  Much more common but new to the garden trap was a Latticed Heath. I see it day flying locally from time to time, but it had never visited the garden before. The 'small stuff' included Acleris holmiana (only my second),  Aspilapteryx tringipennella and Monochroa lucidella, whilst the Old Lady could certainly not be classed as 'small'.  Silky Wainscot, Small Rufous and White Plume were other very welcome recent visitors - all of which leaves my total on 357 (347 moths and 10 butterflies) 
grahamc (Leicestershire) 24th July 2014













1 comment:

  1. Hello!! THANK YOU for stopping by my blog today, and for your kind comment. I followed the crumbs to your blog, and have loved seeing the photos of "your moths." They really are uniquely beautiful, aren't they? The one on our porch was, in my opinion, in a class all its own. I'd never seen a "Pandorus Sphinx Moth" before, and hope I get the chance to see another. Thank-you again for stopping by--It was/is nice to meet you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete