Wednesday 1 May 2013

It's a sign...


I’ve been debating whether or not to join this moth challenge because I haven’t had my trap out yet this year. A few days ago there was a moth fluttering around my house, which was distracting me from whatever was on the telly. Initially, I just left it to its business, but then intrigue got the better of me and I went to have a look at it. It turned out to be a Mottled Pug, so not the most exciting of moths, but I was quite pleased to have added a species to the list. So, that settled it; I would join the challenge. Call it a sign from the Pugs...

Spurred on by this, I thought I better get the trap out (a 40W actinic Skinner trap) and see what’s flying. Unfortunately, it was a bit cold for the moths last night and the only one I managed to catch was a Hebrew Character. Still, one’s better than none! Now I have a grand total of five leps. for the garden (or house if that counts?!), including a Chestnut that I found about a month ago, a Holly Blue that I saw last week and a Large White today. I may have missed out on the quakers and some of the other early fliers, but hopefully I’ll be able to catch up!

Now to introduce myself and my garden...

I’m Rosie and I’ve been moth trapping for the last few years on and off. I’ve recently moved to Cambridge where I have a tiny little garden, consisting mainly of herbs and ruderal plants. I like it being a bit on the wild side, so it’s better for invertebrates. The garden is surrounded by other houses, gardens and is quite near to a park. There’s a good mix of tree species around, both native and non-native. It is quite a closed garden because of some trees backing on to it, so the moth trap is probably not in the best position for attracting moths from far and wide. I’m looking forward to seeing what moths the city holds though!

Let’s hope 2013 is a better year for the moths and butterflies than last year. Good luck moth-ers!

Rosie

1 comment:

  1. Great to have you on board Rosie - looking forward to learning what you catch :-)

    ReplyDelete