Tuesday 7 May 2013

A few new species

The decent weather here in Buckinghamshire certainly brought out a few nice species. I did rather concentrate on woodland birds and butterflies this weekend, seeing Whitethroat, Swallow, Blackcap and Willow Warbler on the bird front and Orange Tip, Speckled Wood, Green-Veined White, Comma, Peacock and Holly Blue from the butterfly world.

I attended an organised moth trapping in Harrow on Saturday night, which added a few species to my year (although not garden) list, the best probably being Least Dark Arches.

In the garden, I found a day-flying (or rather hiding) Incurvaria masculella, an attractive little micro and during the night-time trapping sessions, I added Brimstone Moth to my year list & Lunar Marbled Brown to my all-time garden list. I suppose it helps having a dry May, unlike last year...

Other mothy highlights were Streamer (which is a species I never had in the garden last year, but I've now had 5) and a Clouded Drab (last seen 3 weeks ago).

Oh, and last night, my first Cockchafer of the year...

No comments:

Post a Comment